8 Days Kathmandu Gyirong Everest Lhasa Overland Group Tour
This is a popular overland route for travelers who want to travel to Lhasa from Kathmandu by overland. It covers many must-see attractions such as Mt.Everest, Yamdroktso Lake, Potala Palace.
Since the Gyirong border between Nepal and Tibet reopens to all travels in August 2017, this 8-day Kathmandu to Lhasa overland tour becomes more and more popular. It’s designed for those travelers who are a fan of Mount Everest and the Himalayas. You will start this tour from Kathmandu. After getting China Group visa in Kathmandu, you will go across to the Nepal border and enter Tibet. Then, you will head to famous EBC to enjoy the stunning sunset of Mount Everest. At last, you will drive back to Lhasa via Shigatse and start exploring the best part of holy Lhasa city such as Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple, Sera Monastery.
|Day 1||Kathmandu to Syabrubesi, 137km, Approx. 7 hrs.||Pick up and drive to China Tibet border||Syabrubesi, Guesthouse
|Day 2||Syabrubesi to Gyirong, 40km, Approx. 4-5hrs||Paba Temple||Gyirong Hotel
|Day 3||Gyirong to EBC to Tingri, 480km, Approx. 11 hrs.||Everest Base Camp, Peikutso Lake, Rongbuk Monastery||Tingri Hotel
|Day 4||Tingri to Shigatse, 280km, Approx. 7 hrs.||5000 Meters’ Milestone of G318 National Highway, Tashilhunpo Monastery||Shigatse, 3/4-star
|Day 5||Shigatse to Lhasa via Gyantse, 375km||Pelkor Monastery and Gyantse Kumbum, Korola Glacier, Manak Dam Lake, Yamdroktso Lake||Lhasa, 3/4-star
|Day 6||Lhasa Sightseeing||Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple, Barkhor Street||Lhasa, 3/4-star||B|
|Day 7||Lhasa Sightseeing
|Drepung Monastery, Sera Monastery||Lhasa, 3/4-star
|Day 8||Lhasa Departure||Send off to airport/railway station||B|
Day 1 Kathmandu to Syabrubesi, 137km, Approx. 7 hrs.
In the morning, we will pick you up from your hotel in Kathmandu city. Then, what you need to do is to enjoy the magnificent natural scenery along the world-known Friendship Highway. As the driving time will be a little bit longer, you are recommended to bring some snacks.
Stay overnight in Syabrubesi, guesthouse
Day 2 Syabrubesi to Gyirong, 40km, Approx. 4-5hrs (B)
Attractions: Paba Temple
Today, we will take you to Gyirong border from Syabrubesi, which takes around 3 hours to finish a 15 km distance. After entering Tibet, your Tibetan guide will greet you here and transfer you to Gyirong town (2,800 meters). The rest of the time is free arranged by yourself. If you prefer, you could pay a visit to Paba Temple (2,850 meters) in the afternoon.
Stay overnight in Gyirong Hotel
Day 3 Gyirong to EBC to Tingri, 480km, Approx. 11 hrs. (B)
Attractions: Peikutso Lake, Everest Base Camp, Rongbuk Monastery
Today will be a long-time driving. In the morning, we will head for Everest Base Camp after breakfast. On the way, you will pass by the Peikutso Lake and endless grasslands. When you arrive at Everest, the highest peak in the world, you will also see the first monastery on earth — Rongbuk Monastery. After that, we will start driving to Tingri. We will not arrange to stay overnight at Everest due to the acclimatization issue.
Stay overnight in Tingri Hotel
Day 4 Tingri to Shigatse, 280km, Approx. 7 hrs. (B)
Attractions: 5000 Meters’ Milestone of G318 National Highway, Tashilhunpo Monastery
Today, you will head to Shigatse, which is the second largest city in Tibet. From Tingri to Lhatse, you will have a good chance to see the 5000 Meters’ Milestone of G318 National Highway.
In the noon, you will arrive in Shigatse. After lunch in Shigatse city, you will visit Tashilhunpo Monastery, the home of Panchen Lama. It’s famous for the largest Buddhism school in Shigatse. You could see many Tibetan people do a kora in front of the monastery.
Stay overnight in Shigatse, 3/4-star hotel
Day 5 Shigatse to Lhasa via Gyantse, 375km (B)
Attractions: Pelkor Monastery and Gyantse Kumbum, Karola Glacier, Yamdroktso Lake
Today you will go to Lhasa from Shigatse via Gyantse. It’s 375km from Shigatse to Lhasa. With the speed-limit regulation, it usually takes 7-8 hours on the way. But no worries. Please get your camera ready, there are really good sights worth shooting.
After arriving in Gyantse, you will visit the mysterious Pelkor Monastery and Gyantse Kumbum (4040m). The most interesting collection in this monastery is the “One Hundred Thousand Buddhas Pagoda”. It has nine floors, 77 rooms, and 108 doors. The door frames in each room are very low and people have to bow to enter.
Continue to drive, you will see the spectacular Karola Glacier (5045 meters) and turquoise colored Yamdroktso Lake (4400m), which is one of the three sacred lakes in Tibet. It is the largest freshwater lake in the northern Himalayas, stretching 675 square meters from south to north, like an earlobe lying in the arms of giant snow-capped mountains.
Day 6 Lhasa Sightseeing- Potala Palace and Jokhang Temple
Attractions: Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple, Barkhor Street
Lhasa, the capital of Tibet, is well-known as an international tourism city with mystic Tibetan Buddhist culture and natural plateau scenery. Today, we will arrange you to explore this old and holy city which is already over 1300 years.
In the morning, you will head to visit world-known Potala Palace, which has the highest architecture in the world. It was built by Srongtsen Gampo in the 7th.century and used to be the winter palace of the Dalai Lama. Except for the art of buildings, you could also visit the gilded burial stupas of former Dalai Lamas and meditation Cave of the 33rd great king of Tibet.
After lunch, you are going to visit another symbolic scenic spot of Tibet-Jokhang Temple. It is considered to be the spiritual center of Tibetan Buddhism. In the temple, there is a golden life-sized statue of 12-year-old Sakyamuni, which was brought by Princess Wencheng from the Tang Dynasty. So, you could see many devout Tibetans do a pilgrimage in front of Jokhang temple. Afterward, you could stroll around the famous Barkhor Street, where you can enjoy a sweet tea, and buy some Tibetan souvenirs.
With the attractions, we will arrange a welcome dinner for you tonight. Hope you can enjoy the relaxing night with your friends and guide.
Stay overnight in Lhasa, 3/4-star
Day 7 Lhasa Sightseeing-Drepung Monastery and Sera Monastery
Attractions: Drepung Monastery, Sera Monastery
Today, you will also discover two other highlights of Lhasa – Drepung Monastery and Sera Monastery. In the morning, you are going to visit Drepung Monastery, the largest monastery in Tibet. Before the liberation of Tibet, more than 10,000 monks lived and studied. Therefore, Drepung Monastery is also well-known as the “Mother School of Dalai Lamas”
In the afternoon, you will visit the Sera Monastery. You can enjoy a wonderful Buddhist debate in the monastery, open daily from 3 pm to 5 pm, except on Sundays. You can participate in the daily debate of 80 monks in a closed courtyard. This is more like a question and answers session on Tibetan Buddhism. Through this debate, you can learn more about Tibetan Buddhism culture.
Stay overnight in Lhasa, 3/4-star
Day 8 Depart from Lhasa
Your tour ends today. After breakfasts, you will be free for the morning. Our staff will pick you up at your hotel and send you off to Lhasa Airport/Railway Station.
* To join in a confirmed group tour package with the fixed departure date, 12 working-day is required.
*To open a new group tour depends on your schedule:
|Number of travelers||Time we need|
|A solo traveler||60 days|
|Two or more||12 working days|
Note: you may only enjoy one of the preferential policies, not all.
|Option A:||Tour from Apr~Oct||*5% off for six months prior to the tour starts.
*3% off for three months prior to the tour starts.
|Option B:||Three or more travelers book the same group||5% off for any group tours|
Cost and Calendar
All the price is USD per person.
|Tour Class||Apr.1 to
|Economic class (3-star hotels)||
|Comfortable class (4-star hotels)||
* Accommodations: 4 Nights, double room in 3 or 4-star hotel plus 3 nights at guesthouse（If your prefer to stay overnight in 5-star hotel, please consult it with our trip advisor for details);
* Meals: 4Breakfasts + 1 welcome dinner;
*Local tour transfer, 7-29 seats comfortable tourist vehicle we use based on group size;
* Transfer fee from Kathmandu city to Gyirong based on group size.
* Lhasa Railway Station transfer at all time on the last day;
* Free hotel-airport drop-off service on the last day the group tour ends.
Pick up tourists from the Lhasa hotel at 06:30 am; 08:00 am; 12:00 pm
* Guide: experienced Tibetan English-speaking tour guide;
* Entrance ticket fees for all the attractions listed in the itinerary;
* All the necessary Tibet Permits;
* Travel Agency Liability insurance and government Tax;
* Normal Express delivery fee of Permit (e.g. SF. Express) to the city in mainland China;
* Food & lodgings for guide & driver;
* One big bottle of Oxygen on the vehicle for emergency use;
* Mineral water during the trip;
* China Group Visa fee and Nepal visa fee;
* International or domestic flights or train tickets fee(We’d like to book the domestic flight/train ticket at the BEST price. Please contact us for details);
* Lunch & Dinner not listed in the itinerary (your tour guide will recommend some good restaurants for your reference. )
* Gratuities for guide and driver (It is not mandatory. However, if you are satisfied with their service, please tip them on the last day of the tour. recommend USD5-10/day in total);
* Private transfer between Lhasa Airport-Hotel if your flight isn’t within our free service time, about USD 60/vehicle/time depends on the tour time;
* All the commission and tax charged by the third part when making online payment;
* Personal expenses;
* Anything not mentioned in the Inclusions.
* From Nepal to Tibet, you need to get a China Group visa within 3-working day in Kathmandu, even if you already had a Chinese visa. We can help you get this China Group Visa in Kathmandu, please check with your trip advisor for details.
* We require at least 12 working days to apply for your Tibet permits. After you confirmed this Tibet tour with us, please provide your passport etc information to us on time. Or, extra fee will be charged for the urgent handling charge. Please check with your trip advisor for details.
* We reserve the right to change the itinerary order and attractions in Lhasa;
* There may no guide but always a driver when pick-up and send-off, especially the tourist peak season;
* We may use the public transportation for the airport/hotel transfer such as the airport shutter bus or taxi if the passengers are less than three;
* Single Supplements: for a solo traveler, you are required to pay for a single supplement at the time of booking as the above price is based on a twin room. But if later, you could share the same room with another tourist (same sex), we will refund the single supplement;
* If any unforeseeable or unavoidable situation beyond our control happened, and caused the cancel or delay of the trip, we are not responsible for a refund. And the extra fee caused by should be at the tourists’ side.
1 Service Information-What is a small Tibet Group Tour?