7 Days Lhasa Everest Gyirong Kathmandu Overland Group Tour
The spectacular Himalaya mountains located in between Tibet and Nepal. This tour offers you a good way to explore the natural scenery and Buddhist culture in Tibet and Nepal by overland. Enjoy your wonderful Tibet tour with us!
Tibet, located on the third pole of the world, has the same Himalayan scenery and Buddhist culture with Nepal. If you are looking for a budget tour including Tibet and Nepal, this classic 7-day Lhasa to Kathmandu overland tour perfectly matches your needs. It starts from Lhasa, the capital of Tibet. After two days sightseeing in Lhasa, you will continue to Everest Base Camp in Tibet side, where you will have a good chance to visit stunning sunset of Mount Everest peak-the world’s highest mountain. After that, you will head to Gyirong town, which is the only opened port for all travelers to Nepal. From there, you can take a bus or private car to Kathmandu city on a day. It’s really an unforgettable journey that you will never want to miss.
|Day 1||Arrival in Lhasa (3680m)||Pick up and transfer to the hotel.||Lhasa, 3/4-star
|Day 2||Lhasa sightseeing||Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple, Barkhor Street||Lhasa, 3/4-star
|Day 3||Lhasa sightseeing||Drepung Monastery, Sera Monastery||Lhasa, 3/4-star
|Day 4||Lhasa- Gyantse(4040m)- Shigatse(3840m), 360km, Approx. 6hrs||Yamdroktso Lake, Karola Glacier, Pelkor Chöde Monastery||Shigatse, 3/4-star
|Day 5||Shigatse -Tingri -Rongbuk- EBC (5100m), 360km, Approx. 6hrs||Rongbuk Monastery, the sunset of golden of Everest peak||Rongbuk guesthouse or EBC dorm tent||B|
|Day 6||EBC – Gyirong Border, 370km, Approx. 8hrs||Sunrise of Everest Peak, Peikutso Lake, far view of Mt. Shishapangma||Guesthouse|
|Day 7||Gyirong to Kathmandu||Send you off to the Nepal Border and transfer you to Kathmandu City|
Day 1 Arrival in Lhasa (3680m)
Welcome to Lhasa, the capital of Tibet! Your Tibetan guide and driver will wait for you at Lhasa Airport or the train station and then take you to the hotel. When driving on the road, you could enjoy the Tibetan pure blue sky and white clouds. It takes 1.5 hours from the airport to the center of Lhasa and about 20 minutes from the train station. After arriving at the hotel, you must be very excited and can’t wait to visit Lhasa city. But you are suggested to take a good rest in order to adapt to high altitudes. If you feel good, you could stroll through the city of Lhasa like Potala Square, where you can enjoy the beautiful night view of the Potala Palace.
Good to know：
*For travelers who are the first time to visit high altitude land, you are suggested to have a good rest in your hotel on the first day.
*If you would like to stay in a hotel with oxygen supply, you are suggested to stay at hotels such as Shangri-La Hotel, Lhasa (with a luxury oxygen spa) or Shambhala hotel (oxygen is supplied).
Stay overnight in Lhasa, 3/4-star
Day 2 Lhasa Sightseeing- Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple
Attractions: Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple, Barkhor Street
Lhasa, the capital of Tibet, is well-known as an international tourism city with mystic Tibetan Buddhist culture and natural plateau scenery. Today, we will arrange you to explore this old and holy city which is already over 1300 years.
In the morning, you will head to visit world-known Potala Palace, which has the highest architecture in the world. It was built by Srongtsen Gampo in the 7th.century and used to be the winter palace of the Dalai Lama. Except for the art of buildings, you could also visit the gilded burial stupas of former Dalai Lamas and meditation Cave of the 33rd great king of Tibet.
After lunch, you are going to visit another symbolic scenic spot of Tibet-Jokhang Temple. It is considered to be the spiritual center of Tibetan Buddhism. In the temple, there is a golden life-sized statue of 12-year-old Sakyamuni, which was brought by Princess Wencheng from the Tang Dynasty. So, you could see many devout Tibetans do a pilgrimage in front of Jokhang temple. Afterward, you could stroll around the famous Barkhor Street, where you can enjoy a sweet tea, and buy some Tibetan souvenirs.
With the attractions, we will arrange a welcome dinner for you tonight. Hope you can enjoy the relaxing night with your friends and guide.
Stay overnight in Lhasa, 3/4-star
Day 3 Lhasa Sightseeing- Drepung Monastery, Sera Monastery
Attractions: Drepung Monastery, Sera Monastery
Today, you will also discover two other highlights of Lhasa – Drepung Monastery and Sera Monastery. In the morning, you are going to visit Drepung Monastery, the largest monastery in Tibet. Before the liberation of Tibet, more than 10,000 monks lived and studied. Therefore, Drepung Monastery is also well-known as the “Mother School of Dalai Lamas”
In the afternoon, you will visit the Sera Monastery. You can enjoy a wonderful Buddhist debate in the monastery, open daily from 3 pm to 5 pm, except on Sundays. You can participate in the daily debate of 80 monks in a closed courtyard. This is more like a question and answers session on Tibetan Buddhism. Through this debate, you can learn more about Tibetan Buddhism culture.
Stay overnight in Lhasa, 3/4-star
Day 4 Lhasa- Gyantse(4040m)- Shigatse(3840m), 360km, Approx. 6hrs
Attractions: Yamdroktso Lake, Karola Glacier, Pelkor Chöde Monastery
In the morning, you will leave for Shigatse, the second largest city in Tibet. Today may be a long journey, but you can enjoy many beautiful natural landscapes along the way. First, you will head to turquoise Yamdroktso lake (4400m) via the Gampala Pass (4,790 m). Yamdroktso lake located in the south of the Yarlung Zangbo River and surrounded by snow-capped mountains. You are lucky to take a photo with the lovely Tibetan Mastiffs around the lake. Continue to drive, you will see the magnificent Karola Glacier (5045 meters) on the right side of the road.
Afterward, you will arrive at the historic city of Gyantse city. After lunch, you are going to visit the Pelkor Monastery and Gyantse Kumbum (4040m), which is famous for “One Hundred Thousand Buddhas Pagoda”. You will arrive in Shigatse city in the late afternoon.
Stay overnight in Shigatse, 3/4-star
Day 5 Shigatse - Tingri – Rongbuk - EBC (5100m), 360km, Approx. 6hrs
Attractions: Rongbuk Monastery, the sunset of golden of Everest peak
Today is the most exciting moment of your Tibet trip. from Shigatse, you will head to Everest Base Camp at 5,100 meters above the sea level. After go accessing Tsola Pass(4600M) and Gyatsola Pass(5248M), you will reach to Everest National Nature Reserve, where mark that you have entered Mount Everest region. At the Gawla Pass (5198 m), You will enjoy a panoramic view of the Himalaya ranges including some famous mountains such as Mt. Makalu (8463 m), Mt. Lhotse (8516m), Mt. Everest (8844m), Mt. Cho Oyu (8201m) and Mt. Shishapama(8020m). After that, you will reach Rongbuk Monastery(5,150m), the highest monastery in the world. From there, you get get a clear view of the sunset of the golden Mount Everest. Besides, you can wander around the Rongbuk Monastery (5,150m), the highest monastery in the world.
Stay overnight at Rongbuk guesthouse or EBC dorm tent
Day 6 EBC – Gyirong Border 370km, Approx. 8hrs
Attractions: The sunrise of golden of Everest peak, far view of the Himalayas,
Today, you can get up in the early morning to enjoy the beautiful sunrise of Everest peak. After breakfast, you will head to Gyirong Border via Old Tingri. On the route, you will get a good view of the Himalaya mountains and Pekutso Lake. You will reach to Gyriong town in the late afternoon.
Stay overnight in a guesthouse
Day 7 Gyirong to Kathmandu city
Your Tibet tour will end today. In the morning, your tour guide will send you off to the Nepal Border and help you get across the border to Nepal. For transportation from Gyirong to Kathmandu, we could arrange a jeep or bus for you based on the size of the group.
* To join in a confirmed group tour package with the fixed departure date, 12 working-day is required.
*To open a new group tour depends on your schedule:
|Number of travelers||Time we need|
|A solo traveler||60 days|
|Two or more||12 working days|
Note: you may only enjoy one of the preferential policies, not all.
|Option A:||Tour from Apr~Oct||*5% off for six months prior to the tour starts.
*3% off for three months prior to the tour starts.
|Option B:||Three or more travelers book the same group||5% off for any group tours|
Cost and Calendar
All the price is USD per person.
|Tour Class||Apr.1 to
|Economic class (3-star hotels)||
|Comfortable class (4-star hotels)||
* Accommodations: 4 Nights, double room in 3 or 4-star hotel, plus two nights at Guesthouse（If your prefer to stay overnight in a 5-star hotel, please consult it with our trip advisor for details);
* Meals: 4 Breakfasts + 1 welcome dinner;
* The transfer fee from Gyirong to Kathmandu city(We will send you to Kathmandu city);
*Local tour transfer, 7-29 seats comfortable tourist vehicle we use based on group size;
* Lhasa Railway Station transfer at all time on the first& last day;
* Free airport-hotel pick-up service on the first day the group tour starts.
Pick up tourists from the Lhasa airport at 10:00 am; 13:30 pm; 17:00 pm
* Guide: experienced Tibetan English-speaking tour guide;
* Entrance ticket fees for all the attractions listed in the itinerary;
* All the necessary Tibet Permits;
* Travel Agency Liability insurance and government Tax;
* Normal Express delivery fee of Permit (e.g. SF. Express) to the city in mainland China;
* Food & lodgings for guide & driver;
* One big bottle of Oxygen on the vehicle for emergency use;
* Mineral water during the trip;
* China Visa or China Group Visa fee;
* International or domestic flights or train tickets fee(We’d like to book the domestic flight/train ticket at the BEST price. Please contact us for details);
* Lunch & Dinner not listed in the itinerary (your tour guide will recommend some good restaurants for your reference. )
* Gratuities for guide and driver (It is not mandatory. However, if you are satisfied with their service, please tip them on the last day of the tour. recommend USD5-10/day in total);
* Private transfer between Lhasa Airport-Hotel if your flight isn’t within our free service time, about USD 60/vehicle/time depends on the tour time;
* All the commission and tax charged by the third part when making online payment;
* Personal expenses;
* Anything not mentioned in the Inclusions.
* We require at least 12 working days to apply for your Tibet permits. After you confirmed this Tibet tour with us, please provide your passport, etc information to us on time. Or, extra fee will be charged for the urgent handling charge. Please check with your trip advisor for details.
* We reserve the right to change the itinerary order and attractions in Lhasa;
* There may no guide but always a driver when pick-up and send-off, especially the tourist peak season;
* We may use the public transportation for the airport/hotel transfer such as the airport shutter bus or taxi if the passengers are less than three;
* Single Supplements: for a solo traveler, you are required to pay for a single supplement at the time of booking as the above price is based on a twin room. But if later, you could share the same room with another tourist (same sex), we will refund the single supplement;
* If any unforeseeable or unavoidable situation beyond our control happened, and caused the cancel or delay of the trip, we are not responsible for a refund. And the extra fee caused by should be at the tourists’ side.
1 Service Information-What is a small Tibet Group Tour?